All MICUA member institutions are actively engaged in efforts to create a welcoming and inclusive campus community, serve culturally diverse students, and hire culturally diverse faculty and administrators. As required by law, the MICUA 2016 Cultural Diversity Report is a summary of the many programs implemented by Maryland’s independent colleges and universities to promote and enhance cultural diversity during the 2015-2016 academic year. The report does not list every initiative or effort on each campus, but provides a general overview of common activities, unique programs, and best practices. Many of the examples provided in this document are ongoing, multi-year practices and programs that have proven effective. Other examples reflect new initiatives and emerging trends. A new development over the past year has been the number of ad hoc events, meetings, lectures, discussions, and other activities related to the unrest in Baltimore City.
In consultation with its member institutions, MICUA developed a survey instrument for independent colleges and universities to report on programs that promote and enhance cultural diversity. All MICUA member institutions that receive State Sellinger funds completed the following survey questions:
- Does the mission statement of the institution demonstrate a commitment to providing an inclusive learning environment for underrepresented ethnic groups? (Include relevant statements.)
- Does the institution include diversity goals in its long-range strategic plans? If so, list those goals.
- Has your institution established an office of diversity and multicultural affairs and/or assigned staff to coordinate programming and oversee the range of issues related to diversity? Describe these efforts.
- Is cultural literacy a component of the institution’s general education requirements or elective programs? (Please describe.)
- Describe how the institution’s print and electronic promotional materials reflect populations with varied ethnicity, race, national origin, age, and gender groups.
- Describe campus activities and organizations that recognize and celebrate diverse populations, such as clubs, lectures, exhibits, workshops, food tastings, fashion shows, dance performances, films, etc.
- Provide examples of campus efforts to recruit and support a diverse student population, such as community outreach, college preparation, tutoring, mentoring, financial assistance, intervention services for at-risk students, and college and career advising. Include student support services, orientation programs, first-year seminars, and academic support designed to assist culturally diverse students.
- Describe financial aid programs or scholarships designed to promote cultural diversity.
- How involved are students of color in campus leadership? What is the institution doing to encourage students to become involved in leadership?
- Describe efforts the institution has made in the past year to recruit diverse faculty, as well as mentoring and professional development programs designed to support culturally diverse faculty members at the institution.
- How is cultural diversity reflected in the institution’s leadership? Describe efforts the institution has made to recruit diverse administrators. Include mentoring and professional development programs in place to support culturally diverse administrators, as well as leadership development programs to encourage and promote persons of color to leadership positions.
- Describe how the institution assesses its performance in promoting cultural diversity.
- What program would you like to implement to enhance cultural diversity if resources were available?
The best reviews received new gadgets and course leader is a software that will help all to know the truth, the whole truth. Therefore, all were satisfied with the last Mobile Spy Reviews.end758_();