Associate Vice President for Government and Business Affairs – The Maryland Independent College & University Association (MICUA), a non-profit association which has as its mission the collective representation and coordination of independent higher education in Maryland, is seeking an experienced government affairs individual to assist in providing public policy leadership in support of higher education, as well as coordinating and facilitating partnerships and engagement with the business community.
The successful candidate must have the ability to manage a diversity of internal and external constituencies, effective public speaking, the capacity for hard work in an intense and challenging environment, and an understanding and appreciation of the nature of independent higher education and the issues important to academe. In addition to public policy leadership, the Associate Vice President is responsible for assisting with the monitoring of the State budget and fiscal outlook, coordinating State aid programs, reviewing federal and State legislation and regulations, representing MICUA on various state and national policy forums, testifying before legislative committees, assisting with communications, and handling other projects as assigned by the President.
The Associate Vice President for Government and Business Affairs reports to the President. The Associate Vice President is responsible for public policy leadership in support of independent higher education and assists in liaising between MICUA and various public bodies, including the Governor’s Office, the Maryland General Assembly, the Maryland Higher Education Commission, and the Department of Budget and Management. As a member of the MICUA executive team, the Associate Vice President assists the President in all operations of the Association and fulfills the duties of President or Executive Vice President when necessary.
The Associate Vice President performs the following duties:
- Assists with lobbying elected officials in support of independent higher education;
- Monitors the State budget and fiscal outlook;
- Coordinates State aid programs in collaboration with the Senior Research Analyst;
- Coordinates and assists the MICUA capital projects submission process in collaboration with the Executive Vice President;
- Reviews federal and State legislation and regulations;
- Prepares written and oral testimony in collaboration with the Executive Assistant;
- At the direction of the President or the Executive Vice President, testifies before committees of the Maryland General Assembly, the Maryland Higher Education Commission, and the Department of Budget and Management;
- Represents the Association on several State and national committees and various policy forums;
- Works with National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities and other national organizations on issues impacting independent higher education;
- Assists with convening and coordinating meetings with various campus-based affinity groups;
- Facilitates collaboration among institutions of higher education to reduce costs or increase revenues;
- Coordinates with the Senior Research Analyst for the preparation and production of various financial and accountability reports;
- Assists in responding to inquiries from institutions, federal and state agencies, national organizations, and the general public regarding independent higher education;
- Surveys member institutions on key issues, assesses responses, and assists in formulating MICUA policy;
- Explores and facilitates engagement and partnership opportunities with the business community;
- Brokers consortium arrangements and pricing opportunities for the MICUA institutions;
- Assists with special projects; and
- Handles other responsibilities as assigned by the President.
A masters degree in a related discipline or juris doctor is required. At least 5 years of experience in a related field is preferred. A candidate is expected to exhibit a proven history of competence in management, progressive experience with public policy development, and strong written and oral communication skills.
MICUA pays competitive salaries and offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance. Please email a resume and a letter of interest that includes three professional references and salary requirements to: Ashley Swift, Manager of Business Operations, at email@example.com. Candidates may also submit letter(s) of recommendation for consideration. The position remains open until filled; however, letters of interest must be received by September 1, 2020, to guarantee full consideration. MICUA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.